Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review

10:50 AM

New Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review

As I have mentioned quite a few times before, cushion foundations and BB cushions are something I have been slowly testing out this year. Despite trying out quite a bit, I have not tried any from Maybelline so far and I was excited to try out the new addition to the range, Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion , recently.

Even in the year alone, I noticed that cushions formulations are evolving, as some that are newly introduced into the market are providing more coverage, last a good period of time and have a matte or demi-matte finish. This is great as my original dislike for cushion products stem for their low coverage, extra dewi finish and lack of staying power (especially those that I have tried from Korean brands earlier this year).


Like the Super BB Cushion in the range, this is still packed with the hydrating essence. This cushion is said to be formulated with advanced mattifying complex for a natural matte finish that keeps excess sebum under control. This Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion is tailored for people with oily and combination skin whereas the original Super BB Cushion provides more of a dewy finish that is catered for those with normal to dry skin.

It has a light weight formulation that helps to achieve a natural “no-makeup’ makeup look and it is supposed to blend seamlessly without any heaviness or stickiness. This cushion also has added SPF 25 PA+ and is non-comedogenic.

New Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review

The packaging is kept neat and simple, with Maybelline's iconic shade of blue. Like other cushions in the market, it comes with a mirror in the interior, an application sponge and the BB product that is soaked in the sponge encased within. I typically prefer to just dip my beauty blender (or any damp beauty sponge for that matter) into the product instead of using the sponge provided, but it is up to you. The sponge can come in handy if you're using this product for on the go touch ups.

New Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review

There are two shades - 02 Light and 03 Natural. I tried the darker one and it is a pretty good match for my skin tone (NC 25). I like that the shade isn't ashy or pale looking on the skin as that is never a look that complements any skin tone. I have found that shades that lean towards the warmer spectrum will look good on majority of skin tones, even those who are cool as it just looks healthier in my opinion.

Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review

I dip the round butt of my beauty blender into the product and pounce it all over the face. I would say the coverage of one layer of this BB Cushion is medium and one dip of the beauty blender is enough to cover my entire face. I like to proceed on to my brows and eyes after, to let the product set onto the skin and then if I feel like there is a need to, I would dip my beauty blender in once more (ever so slightly) and pounce it on the areas that need a little extra coverage.

Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review

This can be built up to a medium full coverage which is lovely, and I am satisfied with the coverage of my acne scars. It doesn't cover it entirely, and a little still peeks through, but I would usually leave it like that even with my other foundations. It isn't cakey and it does not settle into my fine lines or dry patches.

Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review

If you're like me and are using a beauty sponge of some sort, make sure that it is damp but not too much. I realised that if the sponge is a tad too moist (I am not a fan of that word), the blending of the product can take longer as the formulation of the product itself leans to a watery texture as compared to a creamy liquid. Blending this into the skin is pretty quick and streaks can be easily removed via another tap of the sponge onto the skin.

This product does go on pretty dewy and tacky, so do give it time to set on the skin before deciding to powder or add more layers. Once it sets, I noticed the finish to be demi-matte, which I really like, as it still looks natural and like "skin". I do have to powder after, as I do regardless of the base product that I am using that day, and a complete matte look can be achieved via this additional step as well.

Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion Review
Completed the whole face with one layer of the Maybelline Super BB Cushion.
At the end of the work day, about 8 hours or so, the makeup still looked decent in my opinion, but if I go really up close, I can see that there are some patches and splotchiness on the cheek area and that majority of the product on my nose were rubbed off. Thus, for those with super oily skin, this BB cushion may not perform as well compared to those with normal and combination. Using a primer that helps to control sebum will definitely aid in the wear time as well. I noticed that my highlight and bronzer were still visible at the end of the day, so that is definitely a sign that it lasted pretty well as well.

New Maybelline Super BB Fresh Matte Cushion Review
Full face of makeup on and ready to head to work.
This is one layer of the Maybelline Super BB Cushion with a light layer of powder. 
Overall, I do enjoy this Maybelline Fresh Matte Super BB Cushion and would reach for it on casual days where an intensive coverage foundation take a back seat. It feels comfortable and light on the skin, and its coverage is definitely decent considering it is a BB cushion. If you're on the hunt for an affordable, lightweight and medium coverage base, you can definitely check this out. Feel it and swatch it in stores to see if you enjoy the texture, shade and formation.

This will be launching in stores this month so keep your eyes peeled! It will retail for SGD 28.90 and you can find out more information on this on Maybelline Singapore's Website here.

Hope you are off to an amazing start to 2017! Till then,



SaveSave
SaveSave

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Share with me your thoughts :

-

-

Blog Archive